A piece of history connected with the Regiment found in the rural village of Liphook, Hampshire, England – an equestrian statue of Field Marshal Hugh Rose – Lord Strathnairn, at the entrance to Foley Manor.
The statue, cast from guns taken during the Indian mutiny, erected in London in 1895, taken down in 1931 during work on a new underground station and kept in storage until 1964. Westminster Council then gave it to the owner of Foley Manor, Liphook on condition that it would have reasonable public access.
On 30th November 1863, the Queen’s Truncheon (devised by Colonel Charles Reid) was presented on behalf of the Queen by Lord Strathnairn, the Commander-in-Chief in India, at a special parade of all troops in the large garrison of Lahore to the Sirmoor Gorkha Battalion for its service in the relief of Delhi during the Indian Mutiny. The Sirmoor Battalion eventually became the 2nd King Edward VII’s Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles).
The Truncheon, which is also known as the “Nishani Mai” is held in considerable reverence by members of the Brigade of Gurkhas to this day.
Major Sudan Dewan with the statue